View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 04:05 PM   #10
Torrere
a real smartass

I read A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge yesterday. (Er, I actually read sixty pages in about two hours the day before, but most of it was on Thursday when I read from 9 AM to 2 AM.). That was such an incredible book! It started out magnificently and finished awesomely: the book is dense, the end-of-the-book excitement lasted for a hundred pages. One of the main characters occasionally refers to her grad school courses in Applied Theology. The book is strewn with awesome lines like "He was in the shade now, only sunlight was touching him".

The language was masterfully done: it felt like he wrote from the perspective of the characters instead of describing the characters from the perspective of a man living in modern America. This meant that it took me a chapter and a half to figure out what exactly the wolf-like Tines were, but I thought they were so cool when I finally did. Actually, that happened quite often: huge events were approached subtly and naturally, so that I didn't realize how cataclysmic the events were until I was several pages into them.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote