View Single Post
Old 02-01-2001, 04:24 PM   #4
wst3
Simulated Simulacrum

Quote:
Originally posted by Violine
I don't have a home studio, per say. But I do record live concerts (my own, usually, or friends who ask) using a portable minidisc. I have an old one - a Sony MZ-R3 - that I bought very soon after they were on the market. I am considering investing in new microphones. http://www.core-sound.com has some very interesting TINY mics that produce great recordings.
Well, I haven't used the Core Sound microphones, but if you take a look around, decent to very good microphones are flooding the marketplace!

Another thought... while I am no fan of any lossy compression scheme, it seems to me that you might get a huge improvement with a better preamp, depending on what you are using for microphones now.

I don't do a lot of location recording, per say, but I did record my wedding this past summer. I had some really really talented friends provide the music, and I wanted to capture it. Since I was kinda busy being the groom<G>, I just hung a Royer stereo ribbon mic way up and recorded to DAT. Except for a couple of minor level problems, it worked remarkably well.

The per say was included above because I will drag half my studio (at least that how it seems!) to locations to record local singer/songwriters for their demos. I've found that I get much better performances this way. Since they are quite comfortable in their own home the microphones don't scare them quite so much. It means a little more editing and processing, but it seems to be worth it.

Quote:
Without editing content (just removing long breaks and fading out long applause) I transfer the recordings to CD using stand alone Philips digital audio recorder.
I'm jealous... I have that personality type that won't let me do that. The afore-mentioned wedding is still tieing up a large quantity of disk space<G>!

Quote:
With computerized labels and j-cards the presentation looks nice. Sound is decent - if not at saleable quality (and they are really only for archive purposes; I ditribute at $1 more than cost just to cover time).
That is very nice of you! I've done that in the past, and I still end up doing it now for certain friends, but I am trying hard to convince my poor wife that we really NEED a complete recording studio in the basement<G>!

Quote:
Can I get bonus points though??? I used to work in a small theater in Swarthmore. Too small, in fact, to fit cast, orchestra and audience in the theater all at once. So we'd spend about 15 hours recording the orchestra and then about 100 hours EDITING the orchestra and play back on 2 reel-to-reel players during live performances! We had edits all over the place so the singers could take liberties and the audience could applaud/laugh longer than usual and we wouldn't get out of sync.
OUCH!!!!! You get lots of points!!! Which theatre? (I grew up in West Chester, and have spent my whole life between Reading and Philly. My Dad worked in Morton for a spell, and he bought me my first "real" guitar at Swathmore Music.)

I can't even imagine doing the kind of editing you described... the timing is frightening!
wst3 is offline   Reply With Quote