View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #177
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Just came across Mary and Max, a feature length animation film. It was on TV here, but from the website (very much worth a look) I see it's been around in the UK and Australia and maybe more countries. - Great stuff.

This sums it up for me too:
Quote:
REVIEW:
(snip)an original clay animation film by Australian director Adam Elliot. Based on a true story, the film centers on the unique pen pal relationship between two social outcasts; Mary, an awkward 8 year-old Australian girl trying to make sense of the adult world surrounding her and Max, an obese, neurotic, obsessive-compulsive Jewish man in his 40s (oh, and he has asbergers syndrome too) living in New York City.

While the premise sounds a bit like a pedophile’s wet dream, the relationship between the two characters never goes beyond friendship, even twenty years down the line when Mary has grown up and finally figured out where babies comes from (watch for a hilarious segment where Max addresses Mary’s question with a very innovative take on the birds and the bees).

While I usually don’t go crazy for the animation genre, MARY AND MAX struck a particular chord with me, most likely because of its quirky, highly detailed aesthetic and its wicked adult humour (this is no pixar flick). In its 90 minutes, MARY AND MAX manages to breech every taboo topic possible, from fat jokes, homosexuality, and suicide, to alcoholism, prescription drug abuse and mime-murdering- while at the same time, evoking a charming, highly original atmosphere reminiscent of a Roald Dahl story.(snip)

Last edited by Scriveyn; 02-17-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: added review
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote