View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Madman
has left the building.

I smoked for 33 years. Been smoke free for almost four years now. Best thing I ever did for myself.

The key is: you have to want to quit. If you don't make that decision then you will not quit. If you do manage to quit, you will probably only quit for a short while.

Here's some tips:

1. Make the decision to quit and list some reasons why you want to quit.

2. Find something that will replace the smoking habit. Chew gum, use the patch, take that pill, use the lozenges. Whatever it takes to make it over that hump.

3. Change your habits for awhile.

I used to drink coffee, watch the tube every morning and smoke. I spent about three weeks standing at the kitchen sink drinking my coffee staring at the clock until it was time to leave. A smoke after a meal - get up and walk or do something else. You need to change your habits just for a little while.

4. Remind yourself of the benefits of you quitting. Health, feeling better, the money you saved, etc... (if you're a pack a day smoker and you pay $6.00 a pack - you will save just over $2k in a year).

For me, it was my health. I feel a helluva lot better now than I used to. I hike in the woods, I ride bike, I go to the gym, I swim... and there are other benefits to quitting.

5. Weight gain.

If it happens, it happens. The idea is to quit smoking. I gained 25 pounds. I have since lost that weight and more. I'm at a healthy weight now for my age and height.

6. Don't stop trying. If you blow it - try again. Keep trying until you do quit. I think I quit a couple dozen times over 33 years.

7. When that day comes you sheduled to quit - toss your old cigarettes. You can give them to someone if you want - it doesn't really matter, just get rid of them. I used to try to time it - run completely out the night before I quit. Duh... that was, to say the least, dumb.

The most important part is to make that decision to quit. If you REALLY want to - you'll quit.

I'll help support you.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote