View Single Post
Old 09-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #78
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
One package I had contained 128 channels I was paying for, that were religion, or in a foreign language. But I had to buy them to get what I really wanted.
Then it gets even more interesting. Comcast fills that cable with stations duplicated. You play $50 per month for low resolution TV. Or pay extra to have access to other channels that carry the same TV show in HD.

One can get full High Definition via an OTA antennas. But one must pay extra for it from Comcast.

So channel 5 consumes 6 Mhz for the low resolution version. And another 5 Mhz for the same channel 5 TV show in high resolution.

They could have broadcast to everyone only in High Definition. Then that massive available bandwidth can be used to avoid internet congestion. But that would not increase profits. And get the information providers to pay for infrastructure upgrades.

Meanwhile customers must pay $100 per month for the same TV resolution that is standard in OTA broadcasts. Just another way to increase profits so that Comcast can buy more companies, build more skyscrapers, etc.

With destruction of net neutrality, it will only get worse (more expensive) faster.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote