View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

There's always another perspective ... I have to say, the neurologist I see for intractable migraine is a woman (younger, but then most docs are younger than I these days) and has zero empathy, dismisses everything I venture to contribute about my triggers and experience, and generally couldn't give a shit. It will take years, and maybe not then, before experience teaches her to listen. I've also encountered more than my share of angry, unempathetic women in medicine.

That's all anecdoctal of course, but N of 1 studies have some validity. In the '80s, the system selected against empathy and for acute intervention. Women in medicine were careful to be very macha and hard-nosed. As the system then moved in a different direction, other outcomes were valued and measured more.

That said, I'm glad that empathy and 'softer' outcomes are valued more, even if the reason they're measured is still $$$.