View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Flint
Snowflake

All day, every day.
Might appear random, but always attributable back to an event which precipitated the song.

Could be a few words out of a sentence someone said made a partial match, either semantically or thematically, to the words of a song I know.

Could be the words to the song are an answer to (or analysis of) an emotional event I'm wrestling with. This means that my subconscious is trying so hard to help me figure out a problem, it literally sends a message to my consciousness, encoded in bits of data from my memory banks.

The reason I'm stuck on a song is usually word-based, but can also be a rhythm or melody I've become obsessed with. It just sounds like the most captivating piece of music, and I go over and it again and again, trying to decode the magic that makes it catchy.

I heard "Sunset Grill" by Don Henley at the grocery store on Monday morning, and two parts of that song have held a fascination for me all week:
1) The keyboard phrase that opens the song, and prefaces the verse that comes after the keyboard solo. This is a very creepy phrase, and falls under the category of, "how do you write something like that?"
2) The bridge section that prefaces the keyboard solo. I love dramatically up-transposing 1980s bridge sections. I try to sing this in the shower (tuesday, wednesday, and thursday), although it goes way above my vocal range.

I don't remember if there have been other songs this week.
Maybe only one song at a time is held in that "repeat" file.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 03-09-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote