View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thanks Pete.

Hm.. was a long time ago.... not long.. the design is simple. Probably a couple weeks. there was a lot of gradual refinement as I put it together. Initially, it was wider. So, I narrowed it, you can see the evidence of this by the truncated splits on the far side of the platforms. And many times I'd have it together, then couldn't get a pole to come all the way through, so back apart, trim the tenon or the hole or both, then back together.

The sewing took a long time. That is a lot of sewing. And the ladder was a bit of a project too. I got a new tool out of it, a wad cutter punch, which I used to make my own dowels. The bamboo is the ultimate straight grained material as you might expect. I could cut dowels easily. I pinned the end of each rung on the ladder with two dowels in addition to sewing (lashing really, these were much shorter lengths of line) them to the vertical poles. Notice that I staggered the double rung sections so that when the ladder is leaned against the bed the surface of the double rungs is basically horizontal.

Also not easily visible in the assembly here is that the ladder is zip tied to the top stretcher, and the platform supports are zip tied to the stretchers too.