View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #860
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yeah...I get into a similar rut.

I was kind of glad of the horsemeat scandal really. Not that I have a particular problem with eating horse (though...it fucking reeks when you cook it as I recall from one of my Dad's cooking experiments - though not as much as the puffball steaks he tried drying out to use as an alternative fuel for the beehive smoker), but I do have a problem with not really knowing the provenance of my food. And I hate the idea that a burger is probably made from the mixed flesh of several cows. Add in the barnyard of other animals that may be in that burger and it's really started tolose any of its appeal.

The scandal has provided a nicely timed and graphic reminder of what I don't like about fast food and heavily processed food.

The hardest thing is getting through Leeds train station without going to Mac D's. I always go and get my lunch at MacD's on the station on the two days a week that i go into uni.

Last week i went and got a fillet'o'fish, but I found myself repulsed by what I was eating. Suddenly I started to wonder about the fish...yeah. Nice thought.

So this week I've been to uni twice and each time I've gone to the little Cafe Ritazza and got a cheese and tomato flatbread with a danish and a coffee. Slightly more expensive that the small mountain of fats, sugars and assorted fauna I usually get at MacDonalds, but very tasty and filling. Without that bloated feeling.

And then last night I cooked a proper meal for my tea. Lamb chops, potatoes and asparagus. There were three chops in the pack...two for me and one for the Carrotmonster.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote