Thread: discipline
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #28
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by Pi
Ok, I don't have any kids, but when I was younger, I had sometimes rather powerful contacts with my father's hand. "Take of your glasses" and I knew what was coming. I don't think that I have some trauma because of this...
Aw man, at least your dad allowed you to take off your glasses! In my house, it was like, "Go upstairs to your room!" (usually after I'd come home from school after doing something bad). I don't think I have any trauma either, although I did harbor some ill feelings towards him, but that was years ago.

Sycamore and I disagree with corporal punishment, but I say that today's kids don't have a healthy "fear" of their parents. Some may say that's crazy to fear your parents, but let me explain.

When I was younger, my friends and I knew that adult eyes would be watching us in the neighborhood while we were outside playing. That made it very hard to get away with anything, but we didn't want to anyway. In other words, why PURPOSELY put yourself in trouble? Also, we thought twice about doing something stupid by thinking, "Man, if I do this, I'm going to be in serious trouble!" Why? Because we were afraid of what was going to happen to us if our parents found out!! I don't see or hear of that "fear" in today's children. I see kids being quite defiant, rude, and outright nasty to authority figures. They just don't give a damn.

A friend of mine has a 4 year old son. Sometimes, when I talk to her on the phone, and he's playing in the background and gets too loud, she'll tell him to quiet down, and sometimes, he'll say, "NO!" And she does...nothing. He'll keep doing this until she has to start with the threats of, "if you don't quiet down, I'm gonna..." but yet, she doesn't do anything (or at least, not that often). Or, he'll get into something, and his mother will fuss, and he'll start loudly shouting and having a fit. That boy gets away with murder with her as far as I'm concerned.

Whew, I wouldn't want to raise kids in this current world.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote