View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #64
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

wrt oil filter:

My first attempts to correct this involved all of the above except I only tightened the filter by hand to snug then another... half turn by hand only. Still didn't work. So I applied the old if some is good more is better and broke out the wrench, which obviously didn't work either. :sigh:

CORRECTION:
It appears that my previous post contained an error. I said I would be tackling the oil leak problem next. I should have said power steering pump. Silly me.

I drove home last night, parked, went in the house, dinner, etc. Came back out to the car to go to the movies (300!), and when I started the car it was fine. But as I backed up and turned the wheel to commence my three point exit maneuver, the car growled and shook like I had a piston hanging out of the block. I shut it down immediately (crossways in the middle of the street), popped the hood and looked for the herniated metal. Nothing. Started the car again, fine, then as I turned the wheel it sounded like it was going to shake itself apart. In Park. wtf?

I reparked it and got out my stethoscope and had MrsV turn the wheel while I poked around with my ears. Sure enough, the power steering pump sounds like it swallowed a handful of marbles. Fluid level ok, wheels still firmly attached to the car, but the pump's a goner. I'll be calling the parts store here in another 18 minutes.

I looked up the job in the book. It looks like I'll need a J83904230 and a J367234874 or whatever tool to remove then replace the pulley. Normally I like getting new tools, it's one of the perks of doing my own work, but this one doesn't thrill me somehow.

I drove it into work today and it's fine running straight, but on the curves, where continuous pressure/work is needed from the pump it gets real chattery and growly. If it bails on me completely, I will have to find the straightest route home cause I've tried to turn the wheels on that beast with the key off--I thought I was gonna pop a vessel. Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be black ice for the return commute to lubricate the wheel / road interface. On second thought...