View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #533
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Funny Thing

I took my mom to the ethnic part of town and to a clinic where she was to pick up her lower plate that had broken. I only mention ethnic because something extraordinary happened I cannot imagine happening in a posh mainly white office setting.

So her turn comes up, I am in the car waiting with the poodle. I am parked outside the door. It's beautiful sunny outside and I have the windows rolled down. I am watching parents with their children and the children are waving at the dog. It's not a bad way to spend a half an hour. I soon see her walking out the door with tears in her eyes. They say they cannot find her teeth. Before she reaches the car the receptionist runs out and asked her to come back in they may have found them.

So my mom goes in gets her lower plate and within seconds comes out with a full bite. When she is finally settled in her seat she tells me that when she was notified they lost her teeth everyone in the small cramped waiting room chanted," momma lost her teeth" "momma lost her teeth" "momma lost her teeth"When she went back in to get them they were chanting,"momma found her teeth" momma found her teeth" "momma found her teeth" I found it amusing. My mom not so much. She wasn't put off just not in the frame of mind to hold onto humor very long. She thought people were trying to be supportive and or make her smile. I am glad she at least thought that much and the event was dampened by the fact she was so distraught to not have her lower plate. My mom looks very ethnic herself. Once black hair now nearly white peppered with Grey and American Indian bone structure but paler than I.

I was touched and amused at the solidarity of a group of people who tried to make an old lady not feel so bad in a very unorthodox way and very unexpected way.

It's is one of those one in a lifetime occurrences you just need to jot down somewhere or share. So I'm sharing.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote