View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 07:27 AM   #5
Snakeadelic
Banned

And in the tradition of many Cellar IotD posts...

There are all kinds of ways to cook a moose (although whole will require a LARGE barbecue pit...). Older animals make better stew and sausage meat, though oftentimes fat from other critters must be added to the sausage. Younger animals provide all the same cuts as beef .

Many people find the taste of wild hoofed animals "gamy"; some like it and some don't. When the hunters I know are successful, buck neck is my favorite Christmas roast and I figured out how to mellow out the gamy taste--cover the roast before baking with a layer of autumn fruits and some of the sweeter veggies. Apples, pears, sweet onions...you season it with things it likes to eat!

Slow-baking a slab of anything from the deer family on a bed of brown rice and baby carrots comes out excellently tasty, and if you're into soups and stews the rice and carrots from under such a roast go very well in broth.

Sadly, the one neighbor of mine who does like to hunt got his rights temporarily revoked because someone gave him the wrong coordinates for using his disabled-hunter tags. All the meat and racks from deer he thought he took legally were seized, though he will get his hunting rights back eventually since he didn't deliberately poach. And he does know I come equipped with a bloodthirsty temperament, an unusual gift for disassembling nature's warm-blooded favorites (other than my fellow man), and my own skinning knife.
Snakeadelic is offline   Reply With Quote