View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
lawman
unerringly questioning

As promised Bruce. No, it's not as an exciting picture as the ones above but don't forget he's been racing for 9 days (and shaved a full day of the previous record). Both he and the dogs were pretty winded.

From the Yukon Quest website:

"Hans Gatt is the winner of the 2010 Yukon Quest, arriving at the Whitehorse finish line at 1:35 PM local time. He broke a new record for fastest finish at 9 days and 26 minutes, which is 23 hours shorter than the previous record made in 2009 by Sebastian Schneulle.

Gatt took the lead in the race early this morning when he was the first musher out of the Braeburn checkpoint after a mandatory 8-hour layover. His total travel time to Whitehorse was 11 hours and 16 minutes.

He arrived with nine dogs on the line and was thrilled to win in his home territory.

"I can't even explain how this feels. I'm actually really emotional right now," he told reporters. "These nine dogs are incredible. I'm so proud of them."

Lance Mackey is expected to arrive in Whitehorse second, followed by Hugh Neff. Both teams are expected to arrive in Whitehorse this afternoon."

Finally, here's a great pic from the Yukon News, along with an article on the winner:
http://www.yukon-news.com/news/16765/

Last edited by lawman; 02-15-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add Yukon News link.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote