Thread: Camping
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #274
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Camping in the rain is possible, trust me. But it's not easy or nice if you're not prepared. I don't know if it's my inner Boy Scout or my inner FAWET-fanatic, but being prepared for rain (or many other trip ruining calamities) is part of the pleasure. It sounds like you were able to weather the storm fairly well, though I wonder if the water/rain/sweat/stress diluted/removed your bug dope. Maybe you're just really tasty! Anyhow 100% DEET is the way to go for me. But then again, I've been told I have terrible taste.

DON'T GIVE UP!

Camping in the rain has joys most people never experience, like having the trail or campsite to yourself. Also, protip--after your self-massage with the DEET, wash your hands. That shit tastes like poison... (wonder why??)
I actually liked it when I was in my hammock, under the rainfly. If I had bug netting, I probably would have toughed it out. I am 100% tasty to bugs. I was using 30% DEET spray. I sprayed it, rubbed it on, not 2 minutes later, I killed a bug biting my arm. I was feeling funky with so many applications. I am not sure DEET is good for me. I need to find my other stuff. It seems to work better, but I haven't used it in a situation like that.

I haven't given up yet! Hopefully the July trip will go well. It is in the mountains, so the bugs should be better. Now, if only the rain would stay away.....