View Single Post
Old 06-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #198
glatt

It's taken almost a month so far, this transition.

It was official on Tuesday. That's when my title changed. And I'm packing up my desk today to make the move to another floor.

I sent a goodbye email to my old department on Wednesday, and actually got a lump in my throat as I was finishing it up and sending it. I've been in this department for 27 years. It's a minor part of my identity. Everyone has been really supportive and encouraging.

Getting myself extricated from the department was a lot more work than I thought it would be. The person in HR who is taking over my main responsibility (hiring temps) was asking for all sorts of records and documentation that I never kept because nobody ever asked for that stuff in 23 years of holding this particular job. So I had to recreate stuff to give her. And then she would ask for something else. And something else. She is in HR, so I had to just smile and do it. She's going to add about 15 steps to the job I had streamlined. Whatever. She's welcome to do what she wants. It's her responsibility now, so she can do as she pleases. I suspect she was annoyed that she was getting more work assigned to her because of my transfer, and she was trying to make my life as miserable as she could, while she could.

Meanwhile, I've had a training session for the new job on each of the last three days. They are investing in me! And I completed two urgent projects that only somebody with nothing on their plate like me would have time for. So I've made a difference already in the new department.

New boss is pretty cool so far.

Onward ho!

Oh, and I just found out today that somebody in another department, at about my former level was let go this week. They just eliminated his position and spread his duties around. He was well regarded, but not needed. I made my move just in time!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote