View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It's one of those things - how to isolate for just phones/social media, that's a tough one. There was a recession then as well, and a troubled working class. But you have to figure, how does whatever it is, affect girls at nearly twice the rate of boys?

It happens at a time when anti-bullying programs are kicking in... maybe those programs affected boys differently, prevented boys' bullying but not girls...?

~

Haidt also suggests that anti-bullying measures have resulted in a change in the meaning of the word "bullying". Before, it was where someone uses their power to threaten/beat up weaker/less intimidating kids. Now, just simply being mean/inconsiderate is called bullying.

I've seen that... a week ago, family-adjacent as I am now. I saw the 7-year-old girl was keeping a toy to herself, instead of sharing with her 10-year-old brother. The 10-year-old told her to "stop bullying". And I'm like, that's not bullying. In my world, a 7-year-old girl cannot reasonably bully a 10-year-old boy, unless he's really weak or mentally troubled or something.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote