View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #125
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I'm picturing a rhombic enneacontahedron 45 feet high... and a stiff breeze.
It would put the "DUCK!!", in duck-tape*.

*Yes I know it's duct-tape, not duck-tape, although there is a Duck brand of duct-tape, which would make it Duck-tape, but it's shitty duct-tape and not allowed by the rules of this contest.
Look it up.....it actually began as Duck Tape.

edit....i looked it up for you:

Quote:
Etymology

The origin of the term "duct tape" is the subject of some disagreement.
One view[17] is that it was called "duck tape" by WWII soldiers either because it resembled strips of cotton duck or because the waterproof quality of the tape contributed to the name, by analogy to the water-shedding quality of a duck's plumage. Under this view, soldiers returning home from the war found uses for duck tape around the house, where tents were forgotten and ductwork needed sealing, not ammunition cases. Other proponents of this view point to older references to non-adhesive cotton duck tape used in Venetian blinds, suggesting that the name was carried over to the adhesive product. The Oxford English Dictionary says that perhaps "duct tape" was originally "duck tape". This view is summarized most notably in a New York Times article by etymologist William Safire in March 2003. Safire cites use of the term "cotton duck tape" in a 1945 advertisement for surplus government property.[18] The Oxford English Dictionary gives a 1902 quotation for "100,000 yards of cotton duck tape" being used to protect the cables of the Brooklyn Bridge.[19] Thus a fabric duck tape was available to which an adhesive could have been added.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote