View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #4152
glatt

I spent some time over the weekend organizing my image files somewhat. I still have a lot to go, putting them in a proper folder structure. And I identified an instance where I re-used an SD card before archiving all of its contents, so I'm missing 110 images from a trip to the Hagley museum in Delaware last August.

But what I did learn is that I have taken 94,980 images and videos that take up almost 300GB. This was over 16 years, but still, that's a lot of files. It's so many, that I can go back and randomly look at many of them and see things that I had completely forgotten about. Day trips we had taken.

I ordered a wireless router from Amazon last week, and they sent me an email saying that I got a free year of completely unlimited Amazon Cloud service with that purchase. So what the hell, I loaded the 300GB of images and video onto Amazon's servers as another backup. My life has been immortalized now. I imagine Amazon will keep those 94,980 images and videos on a server somewhere even if I don't transition into a paying customer in a year. They will hold out hope that I'll come crawling back and pay them to get my files back someday. So future digital archaeologists can see my food pictures and pictures of taking stuff apart so I can be sure to put it back together again.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote