View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #90
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

20,000 bees follow a car for two days trying to rescue their queen

Quote:
Roger Burns, of Pembrokeshire Beekeepers, said: "It is possible the queen had been attracted to something in the car - perhaps a sweet or food in the car.

"The swarm of around 20,000 had followed her and were sat around on the boot of the car.

"I brought over a cardboard box and carefully brushed them into there as quickly as possible as I was aware it was a big swarm in the middle of the high street.

"I got about 15 or 20 stings for my trouble. I then left the cardboard box on the roof while we waited for the last few hundred bees to leave the boot but then a gust of wind blew it off and the queen may have fled back to the boot again."

Retired GP Roger, 65, said: "I then had to leave and another beekeeper took up the watch however eventually the car owner returned and drove off.

"I have been beekeeping for 30 years and I have never seen a swarm do that. It is natural for them to follow the queen but it is a strange thing to see and quite surprising to have a car followed for two days. It was quite amusing."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote