View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

We have very similar issues in education here. It makes me despair when I think of it.

As I have mentioned on this board over the years, we have supported the public system by keeping our kids in it and tried to add our little bit of 'social capital' along the way, but it's a losing battle. Even if Aden gets straight A's at the end of this year, he'll be lucky to get the score he needs to get straight into the course he wants simply because he's at a public school. The system is gearing more and more towards the privately educated kids going on to university and professional careers, while public schools are producing the masses of blue and low level white collar workers required to keep the country running.

It's heartbreaking to watch your kids try so hard to achieve the goals they've set for themselves, knowing in your educated, adult mind that it's unlikely they'll succeed no matter how hard they try.

eta: They can still achieve their goals, but it just means they have to work harder for longer. Some would say that will just make them stronger and wiser. I say it's just unfair. Plain and simple.