Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #98
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It surely should have required a supermajority. I'm trying to imagine what it would take here. A Constitutional Amendment requires two-thirds vote of the House and Senate, followed by 38 out of 50 states' agreement.

But a treaty only requires two-thirds of the Senate and consent of the Pres. So economic, military, strategic partnerships can happen with a much lower bar to cross.

Like, Canada and Mexico and the US said, "OK now trade is free so bring it on" with just the Senate and Pres. But we couldn't say to Canada and Mexico, "OK, now we are together and just called 'North America' with a new set of rules and people who enforce them", without an amendment at least.

OTOH if they wanted to become US States, and asked nicely, willing to play by our rules, it only takes an act of Congress.

So I guess what I'm saying is, hey Britain, if you really want to play big time... really want to say Fuck You to the frogs in a biiiig way,...and yet still be non-racist and allow a good number of immigrants, State #51 is England and #52 is Wales.

You can change the order if you like. Up to you.

It's been inevitable for a long time. Just finally admit it. We love you, and you love us but kinda not so much. You like us but you don't like like us. We'll be a big dysfunctional family -- which really, we are used to, have you met us?

I know the Scots will not go for it. Not even asking. And Ireland, well, they can either be 53, or 53 and 54, however they want. Of course there will be no official state religion, so might as well go 53.

Hint hint, we would do it just for Bermuda. Have you been? So very nice. So very strategic.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote