View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 29th, 2018 : Fix It

OK, not exactly an IOtD picture but the story, and lesson, blew my skirt up so deal with it.

The Minnesotastan tells this story...

Quote:
"They don't make 'em like they used to."
That dictum is often applied to products like small appliances, and it was the mindset we had when our 35-year-old Hoover vacuum cleaner gave up the ghost. We researched replacements, but this one had worked so well for so long that we agreed that if it could be repaired for less than $100 it would be worth it.

We took it in yesterday to a local company on Odana Road here in Madison. The young fellow at the desk greeted us, asked a few questions, then put it on his counter and proceeded to take it apart. That surprised me, since I was expecting to get an approximate cost and an estimated time for how long it would take to order replacement parts for a 35-year-old model.

He found the drive belt that had been totally worn out, had a replacement on hand which he inserted, cleaned a couple dirty parts, put it back together, and we were "good to go."
Elapsed time: probably 15 minutes
Total cost (parts and labor): less than $4.00
If you're sick of buying crap at wally world that has to be replaced on a regular basis because it can't be repaired, take heed.
Buy better stuff and it will pay off in the long run. Even old used stuff at yard sales can be a better investment than disposable crap.

30 years ago I installed a Sears Vacuum in the cellar and piped it to 3 outlets in the walls of the first floor plus one on the second floor.
Just open the flap door and plug in the hose, the vacuum starts automatically.
Haven't had a lick of trouble from it, and don't expect to.

Break the cycle of crap through your life and wallet...
unless your marriages/relationships don't last as long as wally world crap.