View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #5
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Most of the work I've done I am pretty insecure about. It comes from living in a town where there's a long list of people who can do everything I can do, but better, and younger, and with funkier haircuts. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none kind of guy, and for each thing that I can do competently, there are others who specialize in that particular thing. I usually get work because I happen to be the guy in the room when the work needs to get done.

And then ...

A few years ago I got hired on as a consultant for one gig that involved designing and building a 12-car moving electronic instrument. I had to write custom code to sync software and hardware together across a local WIFI field, manage a team of 6 assistants, play keyboards in a moving limo, and produce 30 sound-alike recording sessions of everything from AC/DC to Bach to Steely Dan. In short, it was the kind of gig that only a jack-of-all-trades could have pulled off, and at one point in the project, I fell into bed at night and said to my wife, "There are probably only a handful of people in the world who could actually do this job, and I'm one of them. I'm exactly the right guy for this gig."

It was an amazing feeling. I'd like to feel that way again.

Also, hey everybody, good to see you. Glad this place is still around.