Thread: homesickness
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2001, 12:27 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
I'm getting homesick again. I miss Tastykakes and cheesesteaks and Champs Cherry Cola (Yes, it's still available).

Ever since I had a fix in January all I want is more. It's funny how a food can do that to you. I can't get anything even close down here. Krispy Kreme donuts are darn good and beat Dunkin' Donuts all to hell but I still want an artery-clogging Pat's steak. And a hoagie from my favorite shop Pudge's. Best hoagies around and has been voted Best of Philly.

Does anyone else who has lived here and loved local cuisine feel this loss as much as I do, or am I just nuts?

Brian
Well, in Lakewoth (aka, Greenacres, West Palm Beach) we went to CC's pizza on Jog Road and 10th Avenue. It's something like $4 for all you can eat pizza and something like $1.50 more for all the soda you want. Not only did they have at least 10 varieties out, they also had dessert pizzas. They also let you special order a pizza at no extra charge. Thin crusts and none of that Pizza Hut doughy flavor.

They have a new cheesesteak pizza that is so close to the real thing you can close your eyes and not tell the difference, except for not having to try to tear your way through an Amoroso's roll.

If these guys ever come north of the Mason-Dixon line, a few pizza places are toast.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama