View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #56
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
I really don't think it is possible to explain depression to someone who hasn't personally experienced it. I think a lot of people hear the beginning of the description and say "Oh yeah, I've had that feeling and I find if I just go out for a walk I feel better." or some such equivalent.

I imagine it would rather be like trying to explain to someone the feeling of an orgasm. It's funny to hear someone say they think they've had an orgasm. Sort of like saying, I think I just sneezed.

Sure, there are different types of depression and different degrees of severity and I've seen people who are medicated that probably don't need it, and vice versa.

I think the armchair therapist opinions about treatment, especially coming from the undepressed, are generally not welcomed.

Here might be a tip that you don't really suffer from depression: If you find yourself offering advice to a depressed person about how to "get better" then you probably don't know what the fuck you are talking about.

<--- Not directed at anyone in general.