View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 01:01 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I just got a happy fun box of goodies from Columbia House DVD Club (oh the joys of Dividend Dollar ... uh "Fun Cash" days). In addition to some more recent flicks, I got a good time local fun double feature ... The Trouble with Angels and Where Angels Go, Trouble Follows.

Local as in Philadelphia Suburbs. The first was filmed entirely in this area, on the grounds of Chestnut Hill College, The Morris Arboretum, and Saint Mary's Orphanage in Ambler, PA.

Knowing the area, it's a lot of fun to pick the locations ... and though the magic of Hollywood, there's at least one scene were the actors are standing on the steps of Chestnut Hill College, but the reverse shot is looking over the Morris Arboretum, which is nearby, but at least a mile from the first shot.

I also love a moment in the second movie (which is the one with the bus trip) where they board the bus in Philadelphia, drive through Pennsylvania Dutch Country for what seems like several days of movie time, only to arrive to spend the night at Germantown Academy (which isn't in Germantown, by the way), drive forever again to get to their "protest march" scene which takes place in Springhouse in front of Rotelle Frozen Foods. Total actual travel time between locations? About 1/2 Hour.

Gets in the way of my willing suspension of disbelief a little bit, yeah.

But I love the movies anyway.

My sister went to a Catholic Summer Day Camp held on the grounds of Saint Mary's. They had their own 16mm print of the film and would show it to the campers on rainy days.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote