View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 01:17 AM   #36
LynnM
Resident-in-Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy
Were these drugs administered as per the order of a veterinarian?
I've heard that ritalin is a "phamaceutical babysitter" for kids. Seems to me like good old TLC could be the best medicine. I'm no animal therapist but I've noticed that my pets start doing stupid shit if I don't take up enough time with them. But then again Leroy the lab does stupid shit anyway. I think drugs, in all cases (human or animal) should be the LAST resort.
Some of you may remember a cellar dweller handled "xxxxx xxxxxxxx. He had a boston terrier that was extremely hyper. So he self-administered the dog valium so he could "handle him". The valium temporarily sedated the animal, but when it wore off he was all the more unmanagable. Naturally the dog developed a dependance to the drug. Eventually he gave him away. The new owner didn't have the drug to give him and I heard (tho not confirmed) the poor guy wound up at the shelter and was put down. Very sad, indeed.
Yes, the drugs definitely were administered per vet's orders. I agree about drugs being the last resort. I've been on Zoloft for many years now, but resisted and resisted and resisted before starting. Now I wish I hadn't held out so long because my depression-free life is so vastly improved as to be unrecognizable.

And yes, I was in therapy for ages, and continued therapy for several years after starting Zoloft. The simple fact is that these drugs address very real chemical imbalances or deficiencies in the brain that cause depression and other crippling mental disorders.

Valium is a completely different drug from the anti-depressants. It's sad that the Boston Terrier's dad didn't seek the expert advice of a vet who might have steered him toward the appropriate medication for his dog.
LynnM is offline   Reply With Quote