Thread: Merry Whatever
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Why do retail employees have to wish me anything, dammit? Can't I just get an insincere "have a nice day" like every other day of the year? We all just want to get through the line faster anyway...
Oh, a woman after my own heart! I hate chatty sales clerks. But of course it's good for business when they act like that. Or is it?? In Hard Facts, Dangerous Half-Truths, and Total Nonsense, Jeffrey Pfeffer and Robert Sutton write about an effort on the part of 7-11 to make sure all the employees were smiling and happy to all the customers. How did it work out?
Quote:
This was good fun, but was it worth the money? . . . The main finding . . . was that clearks in stores with more sales were actually less courteous. Apparently, the crowding and long lines in busy stores made clerks and customers grouchy. This research ultimately helped convince executives to scale back courtesy programs and realize that, for most 7-Eleven customers, good service meant getting out of the store fast, not fake smiles and insincere social amenities.
Yes, I'm starting to read management books. It's a sign of the Apocalypse.

FWIW this is my favorite take on Merry Christmas.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote