View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #1099
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
I did, but it wasn't necessary for me to. It was packaged to be effective in the absence of comprehension. That is the insulting aspect of the 'zinger' format (irrespective of who is doing it--this and ALL OTHER critiques of the process are NOT subject to one party or one candidate only). The 'zinger' isn't a harmless packaging, inconsequentially chosen, it's a purposeful appeal to the lowest common denominator. In the complete absence of any meaningul throught process relating to the subject matter, the 'zinger' strikes up points in the 'win column' which resides in a substance vacuum.

I hate that it is done this way, and I hate that it is effective.

Think of people you know who have 'gotten ahead' in 'office politics' in this manner. These individuals are well-deserved recipients of intense dislike.
In the complete absence of any meaningful thought process on the part of the listener, the impact of the zinger will have been made anyhow, even absent any substance. Look at all the stupid fuckers out there who persist in their ignorance, despite actual substance, that President Obama was not born in the United States or that he is a Muslim. For low information voters like this, communication via zinger is reaching your audience where they are. For high information voters, or thoughtful people for whom substance matters, zingers, pre-emptive "our navy is smaller now than in 1916" or retaliatory "we have fewer horses and bayonets too", it ranges from amusing to insulting.

It works because we humans don't always form our decisions based on facts only, but on many factors, much to tw's dismay, were he capable of feeling dismay. :poke: This is true in office politics as much as it is in national politics. Have you never heard of the saying "A ounce of image is worth a pound of performance"? Sad but true.

How do you change this this kind of dialog from effective to ineffective? Make everyone who's listening smarter and more mature so that playground insults like this are pointless. Make everyone who votes smart about the facts of the issues. Make substance feel more substantial and appearance look less attractive. Noble, worthy and Sisyphean. I will work shoulder to shoulder with you in this effort.