Thread: discipline
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #53
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

As far as my daughter goes, physical discipline is a result of other methods not working. That simple. You simplystart small and work your way up until you find what is necessary. Hopefully physical discipline isn't necessary. It isn't for some children.

With her, she's learning what no means. When she was one'ish she was motoring around the house and getting into stuff. When she would get into stuff and it would be: no, then NO, and then NO*whack*. The whack would come in the form of a heavy duty paint stick I picked up from Lowe's. In time she learned that when I reached behind my head for the stick she had exceeded the non-corporal boundaries. In time she learned the parameters of my discipline. She made 2 on Dec 31st and I haven't had to pick up the stick in 3 months.

If you're consistent they learn. If they won't learn, emancipate them and send them on their way before they get you sued or thrown in jail.