View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #846
chrisinhouston
Professor

We just got in to Oahu, Hawaii yesterday afternoon since we are in a condo with a full kitchen we hit Safeway to get stocked up. We were too tired to go out but still hungry so I got busy and did what I call potato hash, basically some chopped onions, garlic and potatoes pan fried until brown and crispy. Then I fried up a slice of bacon, what was left of the raw onion and a clove or 2 of garlic and then fried up something I have never tried before, Chinese mustard cabbage, they call it Kai Choy and it looked really fresh and locally grown. It had a swiss chard texture but was that pungent green like cabbage and had a peppery taste but not strong at all. Finished it off with a bit of New Zealand Sauvigon Blanc to finalize the braise.

Finished the dinner plates with some fresh pan seared marlin. I just dusted it with some Hawaiian sea salt and cracked pepper and seared it in olive oil until lightly done. Removed the fish, added some minced green onion tops to brown and a splash of white wine and a 2 TB of butter... My version of a brown butter sauce!

Looking forward to lots of local sourced ingredients and fresh fish while here in Hawaii where my wife will be working yet again while I go swimming or hiking around.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote