Thread: Drunks
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #45
regular.joe
Старый сержант

To be sure we are happy when people who cannot accept what the AA program is about find an answer somewhere else. Like I said we do not have nor do we want a monopoly on recovery from alcoholism. We just have a way out that works for us.

So there are groups that have taken the God and belief part out. They are no longer AA groups mostly because the AA programs aim is to have a spiritual awakening and on the outset we make a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand God. We also believe there is no middle of the road solution within this framework. But, again if rational recovery is working for you and others we are very happy about this and wish to brook no controversy over how a particular individual gets and stays sober. I know that rational recovery, thought replacement therapy to name a few did not work for me while the AA program does. Tolerance of other views and beliefs are attitudes which make us more useful to others and this is really the gist of our lives today.

We never want to deny anyone membership in the AA fellowship based on being an atheist, we are not going to re-write the program on the same notion either. The door swings both ways for all of us. There are many programs and manners of living for atheists as well as others who do not like the AA program. If you are able to moderate or quit drinking using these methods our hats are off!

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote