Thread: Random Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 AM   #307
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My Mum made a concerted effort to "save" their marriage before they both retired.
They had both worked shifts for so long that they were out of the habit of spending time in eachother's company.
So using a supermarket bonus scheme they started spending a few nights away in various cities around the UK. Discovering eachother again.
Their marriage was not really in any danger, but she didn't want things to fall into silence and unhappiness.

As it turned out, with Dad's dementia, the time was very well spent. They couldn't do it now.

He retired before her, and has always been happy spending time alone.
He pottered about quite happily (spending too much money, but that's another story) until she also retired. Then they spent a lot of time visiting friends and family, going on holiday, and again visiting major Cathedral cities, which in American or Australian terms would be considered to be right on the doorstep.
Again, the timing was good considering what came very soon; Grandad's declining health, which meant they had to be home (until I moved back), Dad having to give up his driving licence, Mum's first round with breast cancer etc.

I understand what you're saying Madman, but never look at a relaxed and prosperous future as an arid desert. There are plenty of things to do, to see, places to go, life to live. I'm sure you and your wife will be in good health for years, but don't think about it as treading water. Make the most of the now.