View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #61
Nirvana
Back in 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
If these 'Draconian ' measures actually end up protecting the animals, then Im all for it. Hobby breeders be damned.
Pico you really have no idea what you are talking about and I really have no need of your respect but I have to say I spent 7 years educating and lobbying my breed club to change part of the breed standard to protect my breed from those that sought to cross breed to include a color pattern that is detrimental because my breed comes in many pigment reducing patterns. Some thought cross breeding merle dachshunds, and mini aussies with Chihuahuas would make them pretty. Not only does adding that gene rob my breed of its breed type it includes a pattern that some think of as a disease. I wrote a breed standard revision that included a serious fault to make it possible to discourage the breeding of this pattern. Dogs with this pattern and blue eyes are more likely to be deaf and have eye anomalies especially in my breed. You can read more about it here.
http://tanyastoys.com/infoM.htm

This issue divided our breed club and surely made me super bitch in the eyes of many people either because they wanted something to make them seem special or because they were apathetic. But I care about my breed and I have a thick hide and some things are more important than others greed.
I wrote the petition which had to be signed by 99 members of our club and I wrote the revision and with the help of others and our club voted and the revision is now included in the AKC standard as of Oct 2008 If you do not know how difficult it is to revise a breed standard consider that 2/3 of the membership of a club have to vote in the affirmative.
Blue eyes or a difference in the color of the iris in the two eyes, or two different colors within one iris should be considered a serious fault.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/chihuahua/
If I never do another thing in dogs I will have done more for my breed that you will ever do in your lifetime for any animal.