View Single Post
Old 10-14-2002, 09:35 PM   #24
spinningfetus
Major Inhabitant

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
Imagine if people were legally required to undergo very thorough training before being issued a CCP. And imagine that they had to undergo refresher courses every few years, and pass a test every few years that indicated they were mentally and physically healthy enough to carry a weapon. Sorta like a driver's license.

Imagine how much <b>safer</b> it would be.
Imagine people like myself licensed to carry guns. I may appear harmless, and generally I am but there are those times that make my friends wish I still took the meds. And guess what I lied to get off them just as I could lie through any other mental health screening cause I know what they are listening for. It's not really that hard to do, I have been doing it for a long time in fact. Now I'm really not trying to be foolish here, I am trying to make a point: passing a mental health screening by no means garantees that a person is sane. I wouldn't want me to have a gun, that I can carry when ever I wanted to. Along the same lines I know people who have gone through the rigamorol to get a ccp in NY (no small task) and then proceed to carry the guns when they go out drinking. But if you think you're safer if you have a gun too, remember you have to survive the first shot to be able to shoot back...