View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 12:52 PM   #929
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
from or to.....I think 'to' actually.

Something differs from...but is different to...I think.
Dana, I'm glad we had this exchange. It inspired me to look up different.

Here's what it says about different in Dictionary.com:
Quote:
—Usage note Although it is frequently claimed that different should be followed only by from, not by than, in actual usage both words occur and have for at least 300 years. From is more common today in introducing a phrase, but than is also used: New York speech is different from (or than) that of Chicago. Than is used to introduce a clause: The stream followed a different course than the map showed. In sentences of this type, from is sometimes used instead of than; when it is, more words are necessary: a different course from the one the map showed. Regardless of the sentence construction, both from and than are standard after different in all varieties of spoken and written American English. In British English to frequently follows different: The early illustrations are very different to the later ones. The use of different in the sense “unusual” is well established in all but the most formal American English: The décor in the new restaurant is really different.
So different words can be used after different, and the different words are different in American and British English.

Does anyone have a different opinion?

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.

Last edited by HungLikeJesus; 11-16-2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Meant something different.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote