View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #675
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Pen geekdom follows

I have enjoyed the different colors of the Pilot G2 gel ink pens. In recent times I was made aware that most people who give a shit about pens actually prefer something different than the G2. In particular the line of the Uniball Signo pens is favored, cos it smudges less and dries faster and stuff.

I tried them and found they were the quality item. In particular, they have a set of five which are different "combinations" of black. The "BLX" set. Blue-black is a common combination in pens, and I use that color a lot, but they also have green-black, red-black, purple-black and brown-black. They are subtle style, classy but distinctive.

Then I tried the Pilot Frixion, and I think this is my favorite. I like a dig thick line and their 0.7mm is really very nice. The ink is ERASABLE with heat, and when you use the included eraser, it generates friction on a page and heats up the ink and it disappears. Pretty cool.

The problem is, they say if you leave a document in a hot car, it will disappear. They say if you leave the pen in a hot car it will turn the ink all clear. And they say you can put a document, or a pen, in the freezer for a while to make the ink come back. But again, I like all that, cos it's interesting.

So I use the Uni-ball BLX pens for permanent stuff, and when I want to write in different shades of black, which I always do; and the Frixion for everyday stuff or when I want to make writing disappear.

There is also a non-retractable Signo in 1.0mm thickness, the UM-153 and it is all balls. But most of the time you don't want that kind of thickness. But I dig it anyway.

I got all this shit at jetpens.com where you can order the pens directly from Japan and some even have Japanese writing on them. jetpens.com is awesome. I bought pens until there was $25 of shit and so free shipping. Then I did it again because I wanted more and I wanted the same pens at home and work. It's crazy; but I do enjoy writing with them. It's like my only creative outlet at work.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote