View Single Post
Old 06-26-2001, 09:38 PM   #6
nedritchie
Neophyte-in-training

No, Amy didn't mind your using her images-everyone else on the net has, it seems! She has really been getting lots of publicity lately, and not all good. She's had her site memepooled, and put on about 10 other sites that I know of, and she's been interviewed and written up in the American Stateman newspaper in Austin Texas. She's received a lot of hurtful, rude mail, that I have deleted . She doesn't deserve or need to see that at all, because there is nothing to be gained from being call evil, sadistic, and worse. Thankfully, most people recognize that she's just basically a very smart, very independent, very unique, and very loved little girl. One of the main reasons we homeschool is because she is so smart and gifted that we felt she deserved better than to be forced to conform to peer pressure, and the generally dumbed down environment of the public school environment. She's a very self-motivated, self-directed kind of kid who never stops being excited about new things she's interested in, and we support her any way we can, but mostly just by giving her the time, space, and resources to just follow her interests and run with them. It's amazing what kinds of good things can come from a kid, who is completely unconcerned with what kind of label clothes she's wearing, or the latest fads, or whatever else most kids devote their brainpower to. She has plenty of socialization, which seems to be everyone's big unfounded concern, and is involved with lots of people of all ages, in lots of different ways. But, am I selective about the people she hangs out with? Sure I am. I'm not foolish enough to think that my great kid would not be pulled down by "bad" kids, long before they were ever pulled up by her company. I know that there are all sorts of lowlifes in the world, but I don't choose to hang out with them, and I don't expect my kid to either. I actually have four children, all wonderfully unique and blessed in their own ways and I just want them all to have the opportunity to blossom in a stable ,unstressful environment where they are loved and unconditionally accepted and not held back by the very sorts of stifled thinkers who have been more concerned about the feelings of the animals she skins, than with her feelings about the cruel things they write about her. Thankfully, because of homeschooling, she is very confident, and not easily upset by others' criticisms. She respects their right to a different opinion, because that's what she's been taught is right. Homeschooling is obviously not for everyone, but in our case, it has been great. My children, who would be virtual strangers because of their widespread ages, get to spend their entire days together, learning so much from each other, and we are making great memories together. I'll never be one of the parents who will look back regretfully, wishing I'd spent more time with my children, because we spend it all together, and we really are a very happy family, and each others' best friends. I didn't mean to ramble so- I'm sure that's way more info. than you wanted or needed! Amy's Mom