Thread: Arnold
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The US was populated by people who chose to leave for a life they knew was more dangerous, definitely less controlled and less predictable, which just might get them what they wanted - sometimes great wealth, but mostly freedom to pursue the life they wanted.

After a few generations, their spawn continued to want even more danger and freedom, and they moved west across the country. When there wasn't any land left to move west, they found themselves in California.

And then they started being pioneers in other ways. They built things, they started companies and started building things and inventing things. And all along fresh immigrants came with the same spirit, and if they're really full of piss and vinegar they move to California, where the best, brightest and most beautiful compete for tiny spaces of land because they want to be amongst other best, brightest and most beautiful.

And the people still go - at one point I looked up and realized that most of my friends wound up there. They all said, in their 20s, if I don't go to California now, I may regret it for the rest of my life.

My own life has so far been one of seeking to live my own lifestyle, defined by me, in defiance of what people want or expect me to do. Instead of moving west I tried to build a business where I landed, and wound up in some degree of financial ruin. But I had to do it, although I wouldn't do it again, because I felt the streak in me.

The US is now about 15 generations old and in some places the streak of fierce individualism slowly dies. But what Arnold saw is in us, I believe it is a real thing. Sometimes we can't see it because we're in it. But it is there. How could it not be?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote