Thread: Crafty DIYers
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #40
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I was about to post this folding screen...

... when it occurred to me, it looks like it has a ton of work in, well crafted, but I don't like it. It must be art, which requires good taste.
Then I says to myself, self says I, hmm, I made one of those folding screens I wonder if I've got a picture? Well I know damn well I've got a picture... in one of nine 3-ring binders, bulging with plastic sheets that hold 8 snapshots each, and are in quasi chronological order, except maybe three of them.

Miner's bump cap, carbide lantern, steel toed boots, hold my beer I'm goin' in.
Holy shit, it was rougher than I thought, no cave-ins or paper cuts, but a tsunami of memories and (shudder) feelings.
My god, the things I've forgotten (or suppressed), I was lucky to get out alive, I tells ya.
But I did manage to snatch a couple pictures of some of the tons of shit I've built.

So this is the screen, as you can see it ain't art. I put the black fabric panels in and she added the print on one side. I had a tough time figuring out how I was going to do this until I looked in a hardware catalog (pre-internet) and discovered the hinges they use for saloon doors which have to swing both ways. Then it was a piece of cake to design/build. The pictures are distorted, the verticals are straight as a fucking arrow.