View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #15
King
Conquistador

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.HI.P
You're being to specific with the years, 5-6 ..whats the difference?
I'm speaking off my memory, not looking at charts.
If you were to look for yourself , you would see for yourself and understand without making specific remarks.
Liverpool obviously had a defencive problem allowing 49 goals against.
Arsenal that year had merely 17.
Liverpools defence was worse than teams like Sheffield Wednesday(42), Derby County(45) and Everton(47).
Your reference to Liverpools great defence in the 00-01 season, is proving my point exactly on how liverpool began working with their defence.
As far as I can tell, this is the 97-98 season, when I guess their defence wasn't that good. It did improve to be the best in the Premiership around 2000-2002, but it isn't as good now as it was then. Hyypia is well past his best. A future defence of Riise-Agger-Carragher-Finnan could be good, but it would have a long way to go before it could be considerd best in the league again. Obviuosly some of the pre-Benitez players were important in Liverpool's European success, particularly Gerrard and Carragher, but the team he inherited wasn't perfect, signings such as Alonso and Garcia had to be made. And it isn't perfect now. Nor am I claiming United's is either. We need a more consistent centre forward than Saha, and we need a box-to-box midfielder. I'm not trying to wind you up or anything, I respect your opinion and I think you've made some good points, I'm just not quite as convinced by Liverpool as you are. However, that doesn't mean I think they are a bad team, as they clearly aren't.