View Single Post
Old 06-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #56
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
When I was 19 I got a job in a bakery bagging bread. MOst of the baggers would bag up all the loaves as soon as they cooled and then stand around waitnig for the next batch to come out. I was so slow That there was no room left for the bread to cool. I constantly fell behind the bakers.

My boss was very cool, though. He decide to train me as a baker, reasoning that everything was doen by clock. e.g. the mixer starts on the hour, after ten minutes the first part of flour goes in and mixes until half past, etc.

So I beacme a baker at 19. For the next four years I worked as a baker in about four different bakeries and learned how to bake just about everything you could imagine.

What I'd do was jot down the recipe from the recipe box on a slip of paper and scale it up or down according to what I needed to bake that day. Usually, when I got homw I'd have four or five in my pocket. By the time I quit baking for a living I had amassed a large collection of tested recipes.

Even though this was more than 20 years ago, after four years of baking, there are a lot of things I can bake off the top of my head and without measurements. There are certain ratios that are constant, a little more or less and your muffin becomes a bar or a cookie, your chewy becomes crunchy, etc. Playing with these ratios can be like a musician riffing on a classic melody.

In the spirit of Ibrams music trivia game here is a bakery question. Whoever answers it correctly gets to ask the next question.

I was going through my recipes and found the following slips of paper. I neglected to write down what the recipes were for. What do you think this is a recipe for? Baking times and temps optional.

First:
3C flour
1/3 C sugar
2 1/2t B.P.
1/2t B.S.
3/4t salt
1/2 lb Butter
1 C milk
3/4 C currant
1t Orange rind

The second one is harder since I didn't even write down what the ingredients were, just the quantities. Although I did write down time/temp.
1/4#
1/4#
2 C
1C
1/2t
1/2C
325 degrees f
20-25 minutes

I have since figured out what these are for.