View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 04:14 AM   #6270
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

More accurately it's what irritated me yesterday.
I did the usual grocery shopping and, when waiting at the checkout, saw that the lady behind me only had three small items, probably for her lunch at work.
As I had a trolley load of stuff I asked if she would like to go in front of me.
She accepted and, in fairness, offered profuse thanks. They were scanned in seconds and then... and then... the fun started.
A lot of ferreting about in her purse for the number of coins required produced nothing.
Then the same exercise with folding money was similarly fruitless, so there was nothing for it but to pay by card and a search for one that she could use eventually succeeded.
However it didn't end there because a money off coupon had to be located before matters could be successfully concluded.
Tolstoy could have written one of his longer chapters in the time all this took.
I know the lady on the checkout quite well and 'knowing glances' were exchanged during this saga.
I never quite understood the phrase 'no good deed ever goes unpunished'. I do now.