View Single Post
Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #865
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh woe is me, woe is me.

Fucking internet. Again.

Some of you may recall the nightmare I had with this lastyear. 7 engineer visits in all, and eventually they threw up their hands in defeat and said 'sorry...nothing we can do', gave me discounts for a few months and offered to release me from my contract (not that I was under contract with them at the time but I digress..).

It's been pretty consistently shitty this whole time. I feel lucky if I get a 1/3 meg download speed. Mostly, I get below a quarter meg. And it's constantly discoing to the point that even streaming sites which buffer are a struggle - streaming sites that don't buffer (like ALL the fucking TV catchup sites) are a total no-go.

Last time it was really bad and I had all the engineer visits etc etc, one thing they told me was that it was because I was on the old 'IP Stream' system, and that it was unlikely to get any better until the equipment at the exchange was upgraded.

The other week I got a letter informing me that my provider was installing new, up to date equipment at our exchange and my service would be automatically migrated to that new system on the 24th - Hurrah! I can apparently expect 50% faster speeds and greater stability. In other words a (just about) usable broadband connection.

They said my service would be interrupted, possibly for up to 5 hours.

It went off on Friday afternoon as expected and ......yes, you guessed it, that was the last I saw of my fucking internet connection.

Spent half the frigging weekend calling them. First they said: ahhh, yes, the letter may say 5 hours, but really it can take 24 hours.
Then they said, ahh yes, the migration has finished, but it can take up to 48 hours to reset - monitor the connection, it could come on at any moment,

Then they said: oh....yeah, no, it definitely should be working by now....we'll need tests on the line - phone back in 15 mins.

15 mins later - yeah, we need to do more tests. Can you phone back again in 15 mins, this time using mobile phone (in case further tests needed on landline).

25 minutes on fucking hold, perched uncomfortably in the one part of my house (the landing) with enough mobile reception to make a call - eventually gave up, as by now was 8pm Sunday.

Fuck them.

So - what's the betting when I do eventually get to talk to them again it'll be another engineers visit?

So - for however long this takes, I now have no internet access at all and am having to go into university to work. An extra three days of travel each week.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote