View Single Post
Old 06-11-2002, 01:15 AM   #7
jeni
is stuck on altair-4

okay, in the past month or so i've read about 5 books...hm, let me count, and then i will list them for you. six. okay. this may be a month and a half or so, if i were constantly stocked with books i'd read them at the rate of one every two nights. this amazes paul, but it's only because i stay up late reading

the books, which i will assume (because of the previous content of the thread) will be of no interest to anyone else on the cellar, are listed below.

jane eyre by charlotte bronte. this book is one i've now read twice, infact it is the ONLY book i've read twice. i first read it 6 years ago, and figured i had forgotten enough of the details to safely read it again without getting bored. and i'm quite sure i couldn't ever get bored of this book, reading it at a normal pace. it's a really good book. if you are going to read this one, read wuthering heights as well (that one is by emily bronte, charlotte's sister). these books, if you know nothing about them, are basically love stories. but they're very well written love stories, and go far beyond typical "romance" plots.

missing marlene by evan marshall. this is the first in a series of mystery books, in which jane stuart and her cat winky are the crime solvers. besides the fact that there's a cute cat thrown in there, they're pretty good reads because they're suspenseful. probably (definitely) not for everyone, but i needed something to read and the cat on the spine of the book caught my eye at the bookstore

hanging hannah is the second in the jane stuart/winky series. i bought this one when i bought the first, and had read them both in 3 days.

stabbing stephanie is...the third in that series. i read this book and refused to read the teaser for the next, which is due out in november (hardback). i don't want to wait that long.

the yellow room by mary rinehart roberts. this book is another mystery, set and written during WWII. the solution gets a bit twisted and confusing along the way, but it was an enjoyable book. this book had me looking down towards the bottom of the bed to make sure there wasn't anyone there. i'm a wuss, what can i say?

where are the children? by mary higgins clark. after going a week or two without reading, i decided it was high time to find something else. i'm the type of person that finds it hard to read a book without first being recommended something, so i headed once again to the mystery section with the mindset that i'd find nothing. but alas i remembered that my mom was a big mary higgins clark fan, so i picked up one of the titles i knew she didn't own. i must say that i enjoyed this book and i'm now looking forward to reading more of her work.

--

now, if you've sat through my terribly written "reviews" of those books, you can sit through my recommendations.

neverwhere by neil gaiman. this book is a wonderful book, if you're into fantasy. it's not fantasy like i typically think, with unicorns and fairies, but it does have "creatures" i love this book, love it love it love it. and tori amos did too. so i suggest reading it. it has a great storyline and awesomely developed characters. A+.

watership down by richard adams. if you haven't read this book, DO. yes, it's about rabbits. yes, they "talk" to one another. but it's about their fight for survival after being pushed out of their homes. oh, what an endearing book and wonderful characters. i cannot give this story enough praise. A+.

the end.
jeni is offline   Reply With Quote