View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #77
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Oh, I strongly doubt that.
You're wrong, assault rifles are illegal.

Quote:
I've not berated the AR-15 or any other rifle that "looks scary."
As soon as you call guns that look scary "assault rifles", that's exactly what you're doing.
Quote:
You know, I'm no gun hater. I've got a loaded Mossberg next to my front door (purchased specifically and solely to protect my chickens). But there are VERY effective solutions to the rampant gun problem we have here in the US (eg. UK, Australia). We just don't want to go there. We're little more than pussies that need our big bad weapons to keep our peckers up, to the tune of 33,000 dead people (and another 75,000 non-fatal gun injuries) per year.

Is it worth it? Is it really? Speaking just for myself, I say no.
Care to break those numbers down? How many were hand guns? Don't they look scary enough to do something about?

Quote:
Fact Check:

Lankford pointed out the high proportion of crimes committed with handguns after NBC host Chuck Todd pressed him on whether the AR-15, the weapon used in the Parkland, Fla. shooting, should remain classified as a rifle.

“So there are three or four, five times as many crimes committed with a handgun than there are with a rifle. So we can have that conversation. But when you look at the statistics, many, many, many more shootings occur with a pistol than they do with a rifle,” Lankford said on “Meet the Press.”

His office pointed The Daily Caller News Foundation to the FBI’s annual Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) on firearms used in murders. By that measure, Lankford is right that handguns are used much more often than rifles.

Handguns were used in 19 times as many murders than rifles were in 2016, according to the UCR data. Handguns killed nine times as many victims as rifles, shotguns, and other guns did combined. The type of firearm used was unknown for about 28 percent of all firearm murders.

Firearms are the most common murder weapon, accounting for over half of the murders each year from 2007 to 2016. The FBI’s UCR shows that 11,004 of the 15,070 murders in 2016 were committed with firearms.
All these reports exclude suicides.