Thread: Bikes!
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #313
Griff
still says videotape

Since my typing hasn't been slowed, I may as well tell the story. This is all a "near as I can figure" commentary. I was riding behind my friend off his wheel to the right, on top of my bars so no brake levers (I think the lawyers took away suicide levers). I drifted back and switched sides (this is all happening unconsciously) to get off the shoulder which was limited. I gave a quick stroke to put me back on his wheel and relaxed waiting for deceleration to match his speed. He thought I was on his right and decided to get out of his saddle and burn some calories. He bounded up, swung left tipping/turning my wheel abruptly. Somehow I hit on my right side maybe trying to recover? So I'm road rashed on my right arm and shoulder but broke the bones in my left arm in compression.

I tried to get back on my bike but my wrist felt mushy when I put my weight on it. We made a sling from Sams jersey and a tube. My buddy road back to a house to phone another guy who rides with us to pick us up and it was off to the ER. We got to survey flood damage on the way and solved the various world crises. Pete met us at the hospital and Sam headed home. The only screw up at the hospital was a nurse who came in and removed the spint I had on switching it with a foam one that didn't give me any support. My ER Doc is a mountain biker and we chatted about gear while he checked me over. A car wreck came in so Doc left me to his PA who put a plaster(?) splint on and set up yesterdays appointment with the orthepedic guy.

The ortho guy was hilarious. He hung my arm by three fingers from wire chinese finger traps while we talked about Bingham's swamp. I couldn't relax enough to pull things back into place so he hung some weights from my arm for 10 minutes. He then put a sock on my arm and wrapped it with a bandage that hardenes into a cast. He then shaped my wrist giving it a good squeezing that sorta hurt quite a lot. The follow up xrays looked good.

Pete co. is out of town so here I am changing the road rash dressings on my good arm gaining empathy for folks with real problems.