Thread: Hurricane Prep
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #13
kaylar
Resident-in-Training

3rd world

I live in Jamaica, that's an island, and we have no where to go that doesn't
demanda VISA so whether it's Cat 1 or Cat 5 here we be.

Since Gilbert in 1989 we very rarely lose lives in a hurricane. Most people
kind of know what to do.

One of the things that happens, is that electricity goes or is taken away.
If we are going to be hit, they shut off power. This is to prevent being
electrocuted.

You turn the fridge to the highest setting, take out whatever you plan to eat in the next day, and don't open the fridge again. Stuff will stay good for two days without power. If power doesn't come back, cook everything on a wood fire.

With water, what we do is store it in 1/2 gal plastic containers. When we get water we put like two/three drops of bleach into it and let it sit for thirty minutes.

We put important documents in the fridge. Fridges work good like that.

We pray a lot.

One of the things you have to know is that if pressure builds up in a house, something will blow off, maybe the roof, or the windows. So if you feel the pressure, open something on the other side...could be a window, could be a door, just for a second or so...if you have little lourve windows, you leave them open a little bit on the side opposite the storm.

Of course, during the eye, you have to run close that side, open the other.

Sometimes your windows and doors aren't made properly...I spent IVAN at a millionaire's house, and wasn't one door or window that wasn't leaking like a faucet, and we had to stuff them with rags, paper and stuff.

To prevent flooding you might have to chip a hole in your outside wall. I
had to do this once, wearing my might banana uniform, (yellow plastic pants and jacket slicker).

You have to try not to panic.

My dogs run free, and are pretty clever on survival. If you have animals don't lock them into anything, let them run around outside. They find safety.

Store up a lot of tinned junk you can eat...crackers are good. Save perked coffee in a plastic container. It'll be cold, but it's coffee.

You never have enough water. Don't waste it flushing a toilet. If you have to flush use rain water or whatever, not good water. Clean the toilet next month.

I usually put my laptop in a plastic bag and into the case, and keep it as safe as I can.

kaylar is offline   Reply With Quote