View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #711
glatt

My son was doing most of the work at this point. I want him to do as much as he can, and I'll pay him. He needs to keep busy this summer.

So he cut a hole out under the sink inside this cabinet. Tried to keep it neat so patching it would be easier later. He found it to be tiring working with a dull drywall saw reaching through the cabinet drawer openings. He did a good job though.
Name:  pex 1396 cut hole.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  47.8 KB

Then I got my cordless drill out and put a new spade bit in and started drilling down into the bottom plate. I though I just needed to drill through the bottom plate. I wasn't thinking at first that there would be the thickness of the joists and then the top plate of the ceiling below. When I got through the bottom plate of the second floor, the cordless drill battery started hitting the edge of the drywall hole and I couldn't get any deeper.

So I switched to my electric corded drill. It was smaller and could drill deeper and broke through. But I wasn't through the top plate yet. I needed to run off and buy a 16" spade bit.

So I did, and a fair bit of sweating and pushing in an awkward position later on the drill, I broke through the top plate of the floor below. There was actually a third framing member in there that I also had to drill through. No idea what that was. Maybe some diagonal bracing at the stairs.

Anyway, once I was fianlly through, we fished some wire through there, hooked it unto the red hot water side pex, and pulled it through.
Name:  pex 1399 feeding red tubing.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  79.7 KB

And then down at the basement stairs hole, I drilled down into the first floor bottom plate and into the joist area and snaked the red tube into the basement.
Name:  pex 1401 red tubing at basement stairs.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  45.8 KB

So that went pretty well. Now for the blue tube.

I didn't take pictures of this, but I had a hell of a time getting a hole drilled for the blue tube. The spade bit would break through the bottom plate and then get steered off in the wrong direction and kept hitting the same nail. I tried 3 different holes to avoid that nail, but the lower framing members kept steering the bit to the nail.

Finally, I drilled a fourth hole and could drill it straight and miss the nail.

So we fed the blue tube down.
Name:  pex 1409 feeding blue tubing.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  89.7 KB
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote